Sunday, March 22, 2009

Be a Keeper of the Language

If you took Language Skills for Journalists from me, you know that I offer a series of "Grammar Hints of the Week," the first of which is "Be a keeper of the language."

By that, I mean that you, as a communication expert, need to protect the language we use to communicate with one another. You need to know the rules of grammar, apply them to your own work, and use them to teach others how to communicate better.

Last week I gave the students in my LSJ class the status of their grades. Most are failing. So I asked them to write a paper describing what they plan to do to improve their grades, learn the material and incorporate what they learn into their lives.

The students wrote of poor study habits, procrastination, not asking questions in class when they don't understand something and not taking the course seriously. Sound familiar?

The students promised to study grammar 30 minutes to 2 hours EVERY NIGHT (!), to read and study the textbook and AP stylebook, to complete online quizzes before the class in which we discuss the relevant material, and to pay more attention to the Grammar Hints of the Week. Sounds good. We'll see what happens on the next assignment.

Let me share a few of my grammar hints with you in hopes that they may help improve your writing as well.

"Identify the subject, and then make the verb agree."
Subject-verb agreement problems are some of the most common I find in student writing. Look at this sentence:

The bowl of cherries [is/are] on the table.

So, what is the subject? Cherries? No. Bowl? Yes. "The bowl ... is on the table."

How about this sentence:

Susan, as well as her neighbors, [love/loves] "Desperate Housewives."


What is the subject? Susan and her neighbors? No. Susan? Yes. "Susan ... loves 'Desperate Housewives.'"

Notice that there's a space before and after the ellipsis (...) and that the period ALWAYS is placed INSIDE the end quotation mark (commas are, too).

Use a comma between independent clauses in a compound sentence.
First of all, what do we mean by a "compound sentence"? Basically, it's two sentences (independent clauses) joined by a coordinating conjunction, one of the FANBOYS (for, and, nor, but, or, yet or so). Here's what one looks like:

The best things in life are free, but some pretty nice things cost money.


Don't use apostrophes to create plurals.
Apostrophes are used primarily to show possession. For example, "Jean's book" means that the book belongs to Jean. And "Smith's house" means that the house belongs to one person named Smith.

But I often see mistakes such as "jean's" (meant to refer to the article of clothing) or "Smith's" (meant to refer to the Smith family).

There is one exception to this rule: Use an apostrophe to create plural letters (e.g., A's, B's and C's).

Did you notice the colon after "There is one exception to this rule," the capital letter in "Use," and the comma after "e.g."?

The first sentence is closely related to and introduces the next sentence. Therefore, use a colon to signal the reader that you're going to tell them the "exception to this rule." Because "Use" introduces a complete sentence, capitalize the "U."

But when the information that follows the colon is NOT a complete sentence, do not capitalize the first letter of the next word. Here's what I mean:

The answer is clear: plastics.


The abbreviation "e.g." means "for example." It means you are including SOME of the possible options. Here's what I mean:

Several of my students (e.g., Alyssa, Megan, Martice and Branden) went to Power Shift.

The abbreviation "i.e." means "that is." It means you are including ALL of the possible options. Here's an example:


My PR colleagues (i.e., Professor Kinchlow and Dr. Grable) were hired in August 2008.

I hope you decide to be a keeper of the language, and I hope these grammar hints help you achieve that goal.

11 comments:

  1. I completely agree that grammar is very important and we need to be on our grammar game, especially since we are journalism/PR students! That language skills class isn't a joke though! The english language is so complex and sometimes, we as young naive students mix things up, forget...or simply don't study enough. ;/ I know I try to improve my language skills every day, but I must admit, I am a HORRIBLE speller. That's what I have spell check for though! lol

    Anyways, language skills did help me out a lot. It also confused me a lot too. lol I think maybe if you do more interactive work with your language skills students, maybe their grades will increase?! Good luck!

    -- Samantha Savory

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always telling my sister to use proper English when we are out in public. She speaks well, but classes like Language Skills for Journalists make me want to keep her in check. I think people get comfortable with using broken English and slang. The more we speak properly, the better we will write.

    Reading more can also help people become better writers. The more you read sentences written correctly, the better your writing can become. These are all great tips that everyone should use. I sometimes have to kick myself in the butt to read a novel because looking at a movie is so much easier.

    We should all keep in mind that practice makes perfect.

    Dr. D I believe that I have found two punctuation errors in your blog.

    There’s a mistake in the first sentence under Use a comma between independent clauses in a compound sentence. Doesn’t the quotation mark at the end of the sentence go behind the question mark? (e.g., “compound sentence?”)

    There is also a mistake in the fourth paragraph under Don’t use apostrophes to create plurals. Doesn’t the quotation mark after “e.g.” go behind the question mark at the end of the sentence? (e.g., “e.g.?”)

    -Armegan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Correction:

    The titles Use a comma between… and Don’t use apostrophes… were supposed to be in bold text, but it didn’t come out as such.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Correction:

    There should be a comma between Dr. D and I (e.g., Dr. D, I believe...).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have learned a great deal about grammar since being in SJGC. I have always found grammar a little confusing. Some of the simple things that you might learn in high school or even elementary school I couldn’t grasp easily. I didn't learn much grammar in my Language Skills for Journalists course either. I made it through that class because my friend taught me what my teacher was TRYING to lecture. Don't get me wrong, my teacher knew her material she was just bad at getting her point across. I did however learn a lot in my Newswriting and Reporting class when we had to write our field articles. (Thanks Professor Gordon) I continue to learn everyday; especially with all the corrections Dr. D gives me on my papers. But it is truly appreciated.

    I hope that your students turn their grades around Dr. D!

    Kiah

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, grammar. Its sad to say that it still confuses me sometimes today. I guess I have been able to get by by learning how it should sound but never really understanding it. Like some people with math....thats me with grammar. But I will get it. And about the grades in your class....it is interesting, because in one of my classes, a large number of students are failing as well. I think there has maybe been some type of mental shift in attitudes about college?.....or maybe thats just at FAM. You have been a teacher for a long time.....do you think this attitude shift has occured? And what can be done?

    Mandla Deskins

    ReplyDelete
  8. It wasn't until I enrolled in Language Skills for Journalists that I noticed how important grammar was. Everything just hit me at once! I know it's an introductory course but how about adding a Pre-Language Skills for Journalists class? Ok, I'm just kidding but it is good to see that the course has been changed to three credits. The more students have to sit in there and actually hear the information, the better off they'll be.


    -Travis Francis

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I first came to SJGC, I really didn't think that I had very much to learn about grammar and punctuation rules. I have always spoken very correct English and my parents stressed correct grammar and the importance of expanding my vocabulary. I have learned over the past two years that although I may speak very well, I still need help when I write. Writing is such a complicated art, that one doesn't realize how difficult it is to write well and to write correctly. Language Skills for Journalists is such an important and challenging class that it deserved three credits. Students need to understand how important it is to speak and write correct English. The English language is one of the most difficult to master. I speak three languages fluently and English is by far the most confusing. I appreciate all the corrections made by you Dr. D, because (although it may be slightly aggrevating)I know that it ultimately makes me a better writer. I hope that your students realize the importance of Language Skills and that they're grades rise by the end of the semester.


    --Porsche

    ReplyDelete
  11. Grammar is still a subject that somewhat haunts me. I am tring to become proficient in this subject so that I don't make a fool of myself in graduate school and eventually on the job. Language skills is a very important class as well as news writing and reporting. Dr. D, thanks for correcting all of my mistakes I really do appreciate it. One day I will be able to say that I am truky a keeper of the language.
    -Nicole Jackson

    ReplyDelete